History

    The name of the St John of Damascus Institute of Theology is connected with the famous Balamand Monastery of the Dormition of Our Lady the Virgin Mary.
    The Institute is the culmination of endeavours taken in the field of religious education in the monastery. In 1832, Archimandrite Athanasius Kasir of Damascus established the first clerical school at the Balamand, under the auspices of the Antiochian Patriarch METHODIUS, and in response to the needs of the Antiochian Church. However it was not long before the school closed, in 1840. During the years it was open, Arabic, Ecclesiastical Music, Greek, Dogmatics, and Practical Ethics were taught. The school reopened after the election of Patriarch MALATIUS II (Dumani). The new Patriarch commissioned the bishop of Tripoli, GREGORIUS (Haddad), who was later elected patriarch, to supervise it. Mr. Ghattas Kandalaft was appointed headmaster. Many teachers, reknown for their culture and piety, taught in the school. The most prominent of them were Jirjis Hammam, Najeeb Mishriq, Jirji Shaheen Atiyah and Dahir Khayrallah. Subjects taught during that period were Arabic, Greek, Russian, Turkish, Mathematics, Geography, History, Science, Exegesis, Homiletics, Ecclesiastical Music, and Rhetoric.
   The school closed again at the outbreak of World War I in 1914, but resumed its activities minimally in the interwar period, until it was renovated following the election of Patriarch ALEXANDROS III (Tahhan). In 1962, Patriarch THEODOSIUS VI (Abu Rjayly) entrusted Bishop IGNATIUS (Hazim) (Patriarch IGNATIUS IV of Thrice Blessed memory), to administer the school. The standard of education was improved and the students, whose numbers had doubled, were eligible for the Lebanese Baccalaureate Part II.
    The need for a theological institute to meet university standards was widely felt, in order to promote the training of clergy, teachers, and religious educators. Metropolitan ANTONY (Bashir) of blessed memory, the head of the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America, assumed the responsibility of enabling his Mother Church to establish a higher institute of theology, a thousand years after the closure of the first school of Antioch. In 1965, during the general convention of the Archdiocese of New York and North America, it was decided to establish an institute of theology on the hill of the Balamand, which occupied a privileged place in the heart of every Antiochian Orthodox. A Board of Trustees was constituted with the following members: Metropolitan ANTONY of New York and North America, Metropolitan BOULUS (Khoury) of Tyre and Sidon, Metropolitan IGNATIUS (Huraykah) of Hama, Metropolitan Elias (Muawad) of Aleppo, Metropolitan ELIAS (Qurban) of Tripoli, Bishop IGNATIUS (Hazim) (Patriarch IGNATIUS IV of Thrice Blessed memory), Dr. Constatine Zurayq, Mr. Albert Lahham, Mr. Anis Shubat, Mr. Raymond Rizk, Mr. Andre Geha, Dr. Iskandar Basheer, Mr. Nicholas Khayr, Dr. Munir Atiyah and Mr. Alexis Butros. After the death of Metropolitan ANTONY (Bashir), his successor, Metropolitan PHILIP (Saliba) was appointed to the Board, and upon the death of Metropolitan IGNATIUS (Huraykah) of Hama, Metropolitan GEORGE (Khodr) of Byblos and Botrys replaced him on the Board.
   On August 10, 1966, the Antiochian Holy Synod decided to lay the corner stone of the Institute. This was done by Patriarch THEODOSIUS VI of Thrice Blessed memory on August 15. Metropolitan PHILIP pledged to carry out the will of his predecessor, and complete the construction of the Institute. After the election of Patriarch ELIAS IV, the Board of Trustees was made up of the following members: Metropolitan ELIAS (Qurban) of Tripoli, Metropolitan IGNATIUS (Hazim) of Lattakia, Metropolitan GEORGE (Khodr) of Byblos and Botrys, Mr. Munir Berbari, Mr. Kamal Rafqa, Mr. Anis Shubat, Dr. Karim Azkoul, Prof. Raymond Ghusn, Dr. Lutfallah Milki, Dr. Costy Bendaly, Mr. Ghassan Tueini, Dr. Constantine Zurayq, Dr. Munir Atiyah, Mr. Albert Lahham and Mr. Adib Nassur.
   The Institute was established in 1970 under the leadership of Metropolitan IGNATIUS of Lattakia (Patriarch IGNATIUS IV of Thrice Blessed memory). On October 7, 1971, it was officially inaugurated by Patriarch ELIAS IV in the presence of Mr. Suleiman Franjieh, the President of Lebanon, members of the Holy Synod, government officials, and a large number of Orthodox faithful.
   During the academic year of 1972-1973 the Dean of the Institute was Archimandrite PANTELEIMON (Rodopoulos) (Later Metropolitan of Tiroleyi and Siranpion), professor of Canon Law at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. A commencement for the first graduates of the Institute was held on the feast day of the Patron Saint of the Institute in 1974. On February 26, 1975, the President of the Lebanese Republic issued Decree No. 9764 licensing the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and all the East, to establish an Institute of Higher Learning in Orthodox Theology at the Balamand. However, the outbreak of the war in Lebanon forced the administration to transfer its students to Thessaloniki to complete their studies.
   In the year 1978, a Synodal Commission was appointed to supervise the Institute. It consisted of Metropolitans ELIAS (Qurban) of Tripoli, ALEXIS (Abdulkarim) of Homs and GEORGE (Khodr) of Byblos and Botrys. Deacon Michel Kyriacos (now Metropolitan of Tripoli and El Koura) was appointed director. In 1980, Fr. Michel Najm became Dean of the Institute. On March 8, 1984, during the meeting of the Holy Synod in the Institute itself, a new Synodal Commission was formed. It was comprised of Metropolitan CONSTANTINE (Papastephanou) of Baghdad, Metropolitan ELIAS (Audeh) of Beirut, and Metropolitan BOULOS (Bendaly) of Akkar. In 1986, Metropolitan CONSTANTINE (Papastephanou) took upon himself the administration of the Institute. In the academic year 1987-1988, Archimandrite JOHN (Yazigi) (now His Beatitude Patriarch JOHN X), became Dean of the Institute. On June 4, 1988, and by virtue of the Decree No. 4885 issued by the President of the Lebanese Republic, the St John of Damascus Institute of Theology became one of the three faculties, which constituted the University of Balamand.
   After it became one of the most important faculties of the University of Balamand, the responsibilities of the dean were assumed by Bishop GEORGE (Abou Zakhm) (now Metropolitan of Homs), later by Archimandrite PAUL (Yazigi) (now Metropolitan of Aleppo), then Bishop JOHN (Yazigi) (now His Beatitude Patriarch JOHN X) for a second term. Then, from 2005 to 2010, Dr. Georges Nahas, vice-president of the University of Balamand, was the dean,  followed by Bishop GHATTAS (Hazim) from October 2010 till September 2013. Then, Fr. Porphyrios (Georgi) was appointed  Dean.
   The Institute is distinguished by being an integral part of the University of Balamand, and by its worldwide academic presence through its competent participation in forums and conferences. In addition, the Institute is open to its wider environment through its effective presence in the local Antiochian communities and abroad. It strives  to preserve its characteristic as a milieu for the revival of the Antiochian heritage, education, theological teaching, and research in the East.

نبذة تاريخيّة

يرتبط اسم معهد القديس يوحنا الدمشقي اللاهوتي بدير رقاد السيدة العذراء الشهير في البلمند، إذ يشكل المعهد تتويجاً فريداً لمحاولات التثقيف الديني التي عرفها الدير، منذ أن أسّس الارشمندريت أثناسيوس قصير الدمشقي أوّل مدرسة إكليريكية في الدير عام 1832 في عهد البطريرك الانطاكي مثوديوس، تجاوباً مع حاجة الكرسي الانطاكي لإعداد خدّام لمذبح الرب. لكن هذه المدرسة ما لبثت أن أقفلت أبوابها عام 1840. وقد درّست خلال هذه السنين السبع: العربية واليونانية والموسيقى الكنسية والعقائد والسلوكيات. ثم عادت المدرسة لتظهر من جديد بعد انتخاب ملاتيوس الثاني(الدوماني) بطريركاً على انطاكية. وقد أوكل هذا الأخير الإشراف على المدرسة إلى مطران طرابلس غريغوريوس (حداد) الذي أصبح فيما بعد البطريرك غريغوريوس الثاني. وقد تولّى إدارتها الأستاذ غطاس قندلفت بينما علّم فيها أساتذة كبار مشهود لهم بالعلم والتقوى، أهمّهم: جرجس همّام ونجيب مشرق وجرجي شاهين عطية وضاهر خيرالله. وقد درّست في هذه الفترة: العربية واليونانية والروسية والتركية والرياضيات والجغرافية والتاريخ والطبيعيات وتفسير الكتاب المقدس والوعظ والموسيقى الكنسية والخطابة.

أقفلت المدرسة أبوابها عند اشتعال الحرب العالمية الأولى عام 1914، وتابعت نشاطها بشكل ضئيل ما بين الحربين إلى زمن انتخاب الكسندروس الثالث (طحان) بطريركاً الذي عني بتجديدها. في عام 1962عهد البطريرك ثيودوسيوس السادس (أبو رجيلي) إلى سيادة الأسقف اغناطيوس (هزيم) غبطة البطريرك الحالي بإدارتها، فارتفع المستوى العلمي فيها وتضاعف عدد طلابها الذين باتوا يحرزون شهادة البكالوريا اللبنانية – القسم الثاني.

في هذا الوقت برزت الحاجة إلى معهد لاهوتي على مستوى جامعي من أجل إعداد كهنة ومعلمين ومسؤولين عن التربية الدينية. وقد أوحى الأسقف إغناطيوس (هزيم) إلى المثلث الرحمات المطران انطونيوس (بشير) ميتروبوليت نيويورك وأميركا الشمالية بالفكرة، فأخذ هذا الأخير على عاتقه أن يقدّم لكنيسته الأم معهداً لاهوتيّاً عالياً بعد ألف سنة من إغلاق مدرسة انطاكية العريقة. وفي المؤتمر العام لأبرشية نيويورك وسائر أميركا الشمالية عام 1965 اتّخذ القرار النهائي بانشاء هذا المعهد على التلة البلمندية قرب الدير العريق قِبلة أنظار الأرثوذكس في هذه الديار، وذلك بسبب المكانة الخاصة التي يشغلها البلمند في نفس كل ارثوذكسي انطاكي. وقد تألّف مجلس الأمناء من السادة المطارنة أنطونيوس مطران نيويورك، وبولس (الخوري) مطران صيدا وصور، إغناطيوس (حريكه) مطران حماه، والياس (معوض) مطران حلب، والياس (قربان) مطران طرابلس، والأسقف اغناطيوس (هزيم) غبطة البطريرك لاحقاً، ومن السادة قسطنطين زريق والبير لحّام وأنيس شباط وريمون رزق وأندريه جحا واسكندر بشير ونقولا خير ومنير عطية وألكسي بطرس. بعد وفاة المطران انطونيوس تعيّن خلفه المطران فيليبس (صليبا) في المجلس، وحلّ جاورجيوس (خضر) مطران جبيل والبترون محلّ مطران حماه اغناطيوس (حريكه) بعد وفاة هذا الأخير.

في 10 آب 1966 قرّر المجمع الانطاكي المقدّس وضع حجر الأساس للمعهد وقد وضعه المثلث الرحمات البطريرك ثيودوسيوس السادس في 15 آب 1966. وتعهّد المطران فيليبس تنفيذ وصية سلفه المطران انطونيوس بإكمال بناء المعهد وهكذا انطلقت ورشة العمل. بعد ارتقاء المثلث الرحمات البطريرك الياس الرابع (معوض) السدّة البطريركية تألف مجلس الأمناء من السادة المطارنة الياس ميتروبوليت طرابلس واغناطيوس ميتروبوليت اللاذقية غبطة البطريرك لاحقاً وجاورجيوس ميتروبوليت جبيل والبترون ومن السادة منير برباري وكمال رفقا وأنيس شباط وكريم عزقول وريمون غصن ولطف الله ملكي وكوستي بندلي وغسان تويني وقسطنطين زريق ومنير عطية والبير لحام وأديب نصّور.

افتتح المعهد أبوابه عام 1970 وتولّى إدارته سيادة المطران اغناطيوس ميتروبوليت اللاذقية غبطة البطريرك لاحقاً.
في الأحد الواقع في 7 تشرين الثاني 1971 دشّن المثلث الرحمات البطريرك الياس الرابع المعهد رسمياً، بحضور فخامة رئيس الجمهورية اللبنانية سليمان فرنجية وأعضاء المجمع المقدّس وأركان الدولة وحشد من المؤمنين.

في العام الدراسي 1972-1973 تولّى إدارة المعهد قدس الارشمندريت بندلايمون رودوبولس (ميتروبوليت تيرولوييس وسيرانديون ورئيس جامعة تسالونيكي لاحقاً) أستاذ القانون الكنسي في جامعة تسالونيكي اليونان. وفي عيد شفيع المعهد عام 1974 وزّعت الشهادات على دفعة الخريجين الأولى، وبعدها أصدر رئيس الجمهورية اللبنانية في 26 شباط 1975 مرسوماً رقمه 9764 يرخّص فيه لبطريركية انطاكية وسائر المشرق للروم الأرثوذكس بإنشاء معهد عال لتعليم اللاهوت الأرثوذكسي في البلمند. لكن اشتعال الحرب اللبنانية اضطّر إدارة المعهد إلى نقل مكان التدريس إلى مدينة تسالونيكي.

عام 1978 انتُخبت لجنة مجمعية للإشراف على المعهد مؤلفة من السادة المطارنة الياس ميتروبوليت طرابلس وألكسي (عبد الكريم) ميتروبوليت حمص وجاورجيوس ميتروبوليت جبيل والبترون، وأسندت العمادة إلى الأب ميشال كرياكوس (المتروبوليت افرام، مطران أبرشية طرابلس حالياً) وافتتحت السنة الأولى فيه.

في عام 1980 أسندت عمادة المعهد إلى الأب ميشال نجم. بتاريخ 8 آذار 1984 انتخب المجمع المقدّس في جلسته المنعقدة في معهد القديس يوحنّا الدمشقي لجنة مجمعية للإشراف على المعهد تتألف من السادة المطارنة قسطنطين (باباستيفانو) ميتروبوليت بغداد والكويت والياس (عوده) ميتروبوليت بيروت وبولس (بندلي) ميتروبوليت عكار.

عام 1986 حضر المطران قسطنطين إلى المعهد وتولّى إدارته شخصياً.

في العام الجامعي 1987-1988 أُسندت إدارة المعهد إلى الأرشمندريت يوحنّا يازجي غبطة البطريرك الحالي. في 4 حزيران 1988 وبناء على أحكام المرسوم 4885 الصادر عن رئيس الجمهورية اللبنانية، صار معهد القديس يوحنا الدمشقي جزءاً من جامعة البلمند الأرثوذكسية.

وقد تولّى العمادة في المعهد، بعد أن صار من مكوّنات جامعة البلمند الأساسيّة، الأسقف جورج أبو زخم (مطران حمص الحاليّ)، ثمّ الأرشمندريت بولس يازجي (مطران حلب حاليًا)، فالأسقف يوحنّا يازجي غبطة البطريرك الحالي لعهد ثانٍ، ثم الدكتور جورج نحاس نائب رئيس جامعة البلمند،  ومن ثم الاسقف غطاس هزيم.

أمّا حاليًا فيتولّى إدارة المعهد قدس الأب بورفيريوس جورجي.

يتميّز المعهد في الوقت الحاضر بانخراطه العضوي في تكوين جامعة البلمند وحضوره على المنابر الأكاديمية اللاهوتية المرموقة في العالم. ويظهر دوره الكنسي وانفتاحه على محيطه الأوسع في حضوره الفاعل على المدى الأنطاكيّ في الوطن والانتشار والشهادة الكنسيّة في العالم، مع المحافظة على ميزته كصرح لإعادة إحياء التراث الكنسيّ الأنطاكيّ والتربيّة والتثقيف اللاهوتيين في هذا المشرق.